6th and Curson in Park La Brea, Los Angeles, CA | Directions 9001434.043479 -118.251931
Neighborhoods: Central LA, Historic Core, Downtown
Stay away from this hellhole – My experience here was quite miserable. I don't know where to begin. I signed on for a 1 bedroom "luxury" for over $2k a month.
1. SERVICE IS NONEXISTENT. The service people (all) are as inept & indifferent as everyone says on yelp. I could not get help on even minor issues. I needed to replace a laundry card-I was given the run around on how to get it. The leasing office sent me to a broken machine; I tried multiple laundry machines in different towers to no avail; at one point I was given a 1-800# for an international co. that installs laundry machines. I wound up visiting a laundromat to do laundry. If PLB weren't such an institutionalized facility, service could be overlooked-but unfortunately it's only a matter of time before something breaks & you need the management for something.
2. My car was TOWED when I accidentally parked it in the wrong spot on my 2nd day & I was given numerous citations by the "police" in the facility.
3. THE UNITS ARE NOT SAFE-despite ridiculous, round the clock security. Security guards police the main entrance & stop cars, they also stand by the tower front doors & harass residents. Ironically-the towers are easy to break into: anyone can get past security by saying they're "visitors" and the towers are not locked!! + tower security leaves at dusk-making the units totally vulnerable. I heard of multiple break in's.
4. ROACHES are a problem. I found 2 in my unit within months-one came up the bathtub drain (& I am honestly fairly neat). I attributed this to the OVERFLOWING DUMPSTER in the basement of every single tower. The trash collectors come once a week-not often enough to deal with the trash of literally thousands of residents.
5. MAINTENANCE IS TERRIBLE-I had luke warm water & had to threaten legal action before I was able to obtain any kind of repair (the "repair" was minimal & didn't get the water that hot). Facilities are also in poor shape-I lived in a tower that was getting "refurbished" & the elevators would take 3-5 solid minutes to arrive once signaled.
6. MANAGEMENT IS CORRUPT: I finally had it & decided to get out. To avoid a $4k fine, I found a tenant to take over my lease. So desperate to leave, I bribed her into taking over the unit by offering to subsidize her rent. She decided to take it & was approved by the leasing office. However, when an agent found out she was taking over a lease, she offered my replacement an incredible "last minute" deal just before papers were signed & she cut over $500/month off another similar unit. I lost my tenant the day before I was to move out. I notified management I was not responsible for the cancellation penalty with numerous calls-not returned. I discovered months later that a creditor had pursued me & damaged my credit for not paying the cancel fee. I am taking this to a small claims court to resolve the dispute & clear my credit. I DEEPLY REGRET getting sucked into this resident trap & strongly urge all prospective tenants to look elsewhere.
ONE SILVER LINING-the leasing office has leeway to fluctuate rent dramatically (it's a little like buying airplane seating)-& some residents have lived there literally for decades because of rent control & good rates. But I would not recommend tolerating this living facility unless you have a really incredible deal.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Park La Brea on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.