Boston >Food & Dining > Saraceno Restaurant
286 Hanover St, Boston, MA | Directions 0211342.363962 -71.054530
Mon. - Sun. 12am - 10am
Neighborhoods: Central, North End
Pass by the place..go somewhere better – Less than mediocre. A DEFINITE "tourist restaurant" . WE know good food and we did not get anything beyond "just barely passable" at this restaurant. Not very good for the money.
Went downhil - TERRIBLE "Italian" food and "factory" atmosphere – The food is NOT authentic Italian. The place has lost it's "originality" and authentic dishes in past few years. We ate there last week and it was absolutely lousy! Never again! It's now a true "tourist trap" . Our advice - walk right by it!
Great Atmosphere, food and service are impecable.......... – Had my parents 50th Annv. last night (6/14) at the restaurant and the entire night was memorable. The service was attentive and gracious - the food was wonderful and most of all EVERONE had a fabulous time. Thank you to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A must visit – Our recent experience was everything but what a previous reviewer spewed. His/her lambasting was nothing close to our visit. The service was excellent, the ambience, yes small, was inviting and the food some of the best Italian I've had, whether at home in my mothers italian kitchen or dining out in NYC where I grew up. My wife had the carbonara, smoky delicate flavor with just the right mix of cheese and cream. My daughter had the lightly breaded eggplant parmigiana dressed with a slightly sweet marinara sauce, and I had the stuffed veal chop resting on a wonderful demi glaze and graced with fresh shitake mushrooms. We ordered a bottle of Dollcetto and unfortunately it was "corked", but 'NO Problem", they graciously replaced it and immediately brought fresh glasses to the table. Oh yes, I forgot the fried calamari appetizer, it was good but not the best I've ever had. My next visit to Boston will most definetly include dinner at Saraceno's.
great customer service – I had Easter lunch with some friends there and I enjoyed very much. The service was really great and I liked the food. The place is really nice and clean.
SARACENOs - a ripoff tourist place – We went there ( a number of couples) on Friday night 7/20/07. We had not been there in about 4-5 years and at that time it was prrety good.
WHAT A CHANGE! They "americanized" the joint in terms of food . We are born-in-Italy Italians that live outside of Boston in nice area. We generally go to "Il Tartufo" in Newton Centre for THE VERY BEST ULTIMATE ITALIAN FOOD.
So, back to Saraceno's...............and what we did not like:.
1) Garlic..garlic..garlic..everything with garlic as if EVERY Italian is supposed to be a garlic lover. We like garlic, but not "loaded" with it..
2) Bread: It sucked! DEFINETLY not Italian bread ..soft americanized slices and to add insult, they give you butter pads and not olive oil to dip it in .
3) We ordered the Italian Antipasto. It is 90% "greens" & about 3 slices of "coldcuts, a partial artickoke,& sliced tomato. I have news : Italian Antipasto is supposed to be PROSCIUTTO, CHEESES, ARTICHOKE, PEPPERS, SALAMI, etc...not cheap greens.
4) Ordered a salad with oil/vinegar ( BASICS of any Italin restaurant). Got the oil but had to wait 15 min for them to find any vinegar.
5) Waiter - no Italian waiters.Albania and other from Honduras. Both had problems communicating well.
6) Wine: "Luna di Luna" in red bottle at big cost. I saw it at $7.99 in wine store the next day!
7) espresso: ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! So bad that waiter suggested beforehand that we go out for espresso. Demitasse cups with HUGE normal spoons that barely fit in cups! What happened to espresso spoons? Too cheap to buy any?
8) Bathrooms 2nd floor: If a guy has to urinate..go in and stand and you "just fit". If you have to do more..you virtually have to "back up" into restroom from door as space is so tight you virtually can't turn......about 30% size of small closet...
9) Rush..rush..to take orders..finish us..and "get us out"...
SUMMARY: We give it a "1" out of "10" -----fully "americanized" for tourists..STAY OUT !!! A RIPOFF!
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Saraceno Restaurant on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.