Brooklyn >Food & Dining > International Cafe Kachkar
1141 Brighton Beach Ave, Brooklyn, NY | Directions 1123540.577735 -73.955497
10 am-10 pm
Neighborhoods: Brighton Beach
Friendly, but REALLY COLD! – 1. It's far. If you're coming from Manhattan, it'll take more than an hour to get there.
2. It seems authentic. Most of the customers spoke something I didn't understand. I don't really know if someone "looks Uyghuric". Eat Club, our group, was half Japanese, but the Asian customers here looked very different.
3. It's tastey. The kebabs are familiar, but the addition of special spices (cumin?) makes all the meat taste different, something new. The "Uyghur ravioli" I forget the name, was outstanding.
4. They charge for tea.
5. It's Muslim. That means no pork or booze.
6. It's friendly. The cook, waiter and fellow customers were friendly and sociable. There were a lot of regulars and they welcomed the guests.
7. It's COLD. I guess they need to save money on heat, but no one took his/her coat off inside. We saw one young woman (the customers seem to be mostly men) who ate wearing gloves.
Bottom line: worth a visit, but you might want to pick a warm day.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of International Cafe Kachkar on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.