New York >Sports & Recreation Instruction > NY Best Kickboxing
247 W 35th St Fl 4, New York, NY | Directions 1000140.753685 -73.999164
Neighborhoods: Chelsea, Midtown
Love the location! Love the Instructors! Love the workout!! Heck....I love Kickboxing!!! Everyone at this location, instructors and members are extremely nice and encouraging. The web special of 19.99 for 3 classes is worth a try – believe me, you will be hooked by your first class!!! I joined in February of 2013 and have seen amazing results and feel so much stronger.
I highly recommend going to ilovekickboxing!
A no-frills gym, a great value for the price of classes. The draw of this location is without a doubt the instructors...a varied workout plan and varied instructors from class to class keep you constantly discovering new exercises (and muscles)! I have been attending the location for one year now and it has become an integral part of my fitness routine....as someone that had never practiced kickboxing before I found a welcoming environment that allowed me to develop my skills and instructors that will constantly help you improve your technique. Definitely recommend it for anyone male or female regardless of age or technique who is looking for a fun and effective way to exercise!!
A co worker read a few on line reviews about this place and asked me if it could possibly be true? The answer is YES! I have been a member a little under 9 months and I am in the best shape of my life. There isn't any secret here, it's just a good workout and they push you. No, you aren't going to get tough and the basic workout isn't going to make you Bruce Lee, but it is a lot of fun to kick the bags and learn some cool spin moves. And if you are interested, they make it really easy to try a class
I have tried most of the kickboxing and Muay Thai gyms in Manhattan and finally settled on this location because the instruction is good, the place is clean and they have a ton of classes which works with my crazy schedule.
Almost one month of classes and I am happy with my decision to join. I found this class from a groupon and joined after a few classes. They play good music and the trainers are always friendly and upbeat. When I joined they said the classes are always different but I thought that was just a sales line but they actually are pretty different which helps get through the classes. Punching and kicking a bag is the best workout I have done and I have seen results. Good place.
Truly amazing place. A good workout and real martial arts training but friendly for beginners. PS place is very clean, I guess some people never wrestled in highschool, I did and know the smell of BLEACH. Yeah, you can smell bleach in the space, because they clean the mats every day. That doesn't make the place dirty, it makes it CLEAN. I've been in a few boxing gyms and martial arts schools, this place is much better
I have been going here 2 months after doing a groupon special. I just love this place, everyone is so cool and friendly and the workout is killer. They have a ton of classes which is cool, only downside is I can't do morning classes because there is no shower. I just love kickboxing
I was getting a little tired of my weight routine but honestly could not see myself doing yoga or aerobics. This is not a martial arts class, it is a workout, but it is a very good one. More cardio than my weights and a darn good sweat. I have only lost a few pounds, but I definitely feel better.
I feel bad for any business owners these days, no matter what you can't please everyone. I have seen people complain there is too much sweat, then even seen someone say they didn't sweat enough. People complain there are too many people in class, but if THEY showed up and couldn't take class, you know they would complain. As a gym person for many years, this place is actually VERY CLEAN. If you are afraid of sweat, you aren't a workout person
I've finally finished my contract classes at nysanda & here is my final review, I waited to review til I finished the series. I've taken at least 2 classes at all the time slot classes EXCEPT for the 12PM class from the beginning of 2011- mid 2012. (I've mostly taken 7am, 630pm & 530pm classes. Took the 730pm classes just 3 times, though) TL;DR. I didn't get enough out of these classes. These are all newbie classes - there's no real room for growth & progression as you'll never really get beyond an uppercut, jabs & crosses. I found I could get cheaper/similar workouts at other group classes that have water fountains & showers.
1. UM. DIRTY. It smells pretty bad in there. It's almost understandable for the 6:30/7:30p to stink since there are classes before. But in my opinion, there is NO reason that the 7:00AM class should smell bad, nor the 5:30PM class. People sweat pretty bad in there, there should be a wipe down between classes. Right now it's UNSANITARY. (also, there are no showers!)
2. INSTRUCTORS. For the most part, the only time you will receive any comment on form, is if you are there for the first time & they're trying to impress you. In fact, when I took the 6:30 class, I was there a half hour early. The man w/the belly teaching the 530 class was yelling out instructions for people to do on the bags, and he didn't even watch them! He was just randomly fighting the air away from the students as he was barking out things to do. (This is one of the reasons I believe you cannot progress here). It was a small 18-person class, too! There have been some, but not a lot of comment on form during the 7am and 630pm class (with the female teacher). Btw, the man with the belly gets a lot of slack, but his legs and arms are pretty toned - and his form looks pretty good. Still, I can understand how having a belly at a facility that promotes "sick bodies" looks bad.
3. CLASS SIZE. ALWAYS PACKED. Unless you're at the 7am class, and sometimes the 530pm class. You don't pre-reg for classes, and members aren't turned down. You're packed like sardines and there are no showers!!!
4. HIGH PRESSURE SALES. I'm a sucker for high pressure sales, so i'll admit this is my fault for buying the package but man are they pushy. They tell you it's no pressure as they're pressuring you...
5. PROGRESSION is a big thing for me, not necessarily for weight, but for skill. The thing is after going there for so long you SEE people NOT progressing. In fact I've had partners who told me they have gone 2-3 times a week for months and you can tell their form is off. It just looks like they're doing it wrong. And they're not getting corrected - the instructors walk right passed them. Another sign of progression for me - is when some of the moves are so simple for some people, that they have to do a modified version to make it worth it for them. There's none of this. And that's a real disappointment to me. (Also, I've seen people stay the same).
6. WATER. Cmon there should at least be a water fountain! And if not - there should definitely be showers. Also the hand soap...they skimp on that, it's watered down. WHAT KIND OF BUSINESS WATERS DOWN HANDSOAP?!
OVERALL. The workout itself will make you sweat, but you're not really going to learn anything. You may get slim, but it's more cost effective to go to group classes at a regular gym be equipped with showers.
Finally had some results – I have wasted money on gym memberships and never gone so I was very hisitant to join kickboxing class. I took a groupon for just 4 classes and used all 4 first. I finally joined because there are a lot of classes and I can find one even with work and my classes. The workout is hard but they are very friendly and nice and push you in a nice way. I wanted to lose 10 pounds, I have only lost 4 but that is more than I ever lost before, that was in like one month. Like this place, told my friends
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of NY Best Kickboxing on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.