Brooklyn >Shopping > Velvet Cigar Lounge
174 Broadway, Brooklyn, NY | Directions 1121140.709965 -73.962700
Sun-Thu, 3pm-1am; Fri-Sat, 3pm-2am
Velvet Lounge is cozy and great. – I just wanted to refute the review below this one and add some comments so whomever sees this page can make an informed decision!
1. I totally disagree with this post below. First of all, it's a bar....so it's against the law to smoke inside. That's why they have such a nice little patio set up where you can bring your drinks and smoke right by the windows, there's plenty of room and the bartenders provide full service out there.
Going to a cigar store would NOT be cheaper, or better. The cigars are really reasonable and they have a wide range of prices and styles.
2. The cocktails are delicious, and saying they are girly but then saying they are too strong doesn't make sense. They don't even have a drink with tequila and St. Germain. And I know for a fact that if there's something you don't like about the drink they would be happy to fix it. The cocktail and spirit menu there is awesome, you can get pretty much anything your heart desires.
3. This isn't a pbr-slinging bar. So yeah, some of the drinks hit double digits, but you can easily get a 9 dollar glass of great wine or a 6 dollar beer, which is pretty standard for Williamsburg or anywhere else nearby. Not to mention they have a great happy hour- 2 for one on wines or a free shot with every beer.
I don't mean to rip this review apart but I felt like I had to defend this bar that I love. The staff is great, the owner is super friendly and knowledgeable, and I can't believe how much time and effort they put into making your experience there seem like you've gone into an old dear friend's home for a few drinks and a smoke.
Definitely check out the Velvet Lounge. It's worth the trip.
NOT a cigar bar – There are three major faults with Velvet Lounge (note: it is no longer called Velvet Cigar Lounge):
1) You cannot sit in the bar and smoke a cigar. They offer cigars to sell, but you have to sit outside to smoke them. You may as well go to a cigar store (which would also be cheaper).
2) Their cocktails are mediocre to poor, especially considering the pricetag. The cocktail menu is made up of mostly girly cosmo type drinks. I ordered the one drink with tequila and St. Germain. My boyfriend ordered a drink with rum and lime. They both tasted like margaritas. Way too much lime, way too much booze, the kind of ice you get at a soda fountain.
3) They are WAY overpriced, especially for Williamsburg. A glass of reisling should not cost me $14, especially if I trekked out here to have a cigar with it, and you tell me I can't.
Two positives: the atmosphere is pleasant with good lighting, music, etc. and I had a great port. If you come here to drink, stick with straight liquors like port or whiskey.
Edit - Delete
Perfect, cozy, relaxing – This place is perfect for killing a few hours, either with a significant other or with a big group of friends. They have their own brand of cigars (which are quite delicious- I'm not much of a smoker, so that's really saying something, haha), and a very wide selection of Ports, red and white wines, and Scotch whiskeys- a wide selection of everything, really. It looks pricey, but the prices are actually just right, and the quality is very high.
I highly recommend checking it out! Oh, and the bartender had also mentioned that they do private parties as well...perhaps something to think about!
AN ABSOLUTE MUST! – This place is so refreshing! I'm new to Brooklyn and I'm always trying to check out new hot spots in the neighborhood. As soon as me and my friends stepped into the Velvet Lounge, it felt like home. We were greeted by the sweetest bartender and the vibe was so warm and intimate. Make sure to have a hand rolled Dominican cigar in one hand and a signature tasty cocktail in the other, perfect for just kickin' back outside this summer. The Velvet Lounge is an absolute MUST!
The perfect place – Its the type of place you go after work if you want to clear your mind, sit back have glass of fine wine or maybe a cigar.
Its the type of place you go to with a couple of good friends just to talk and enjoy the atmosphere.
The type of place you go to after a date, or to meet someone for the first time.
The owner is usually there to insure your happiness, the bartenders are cuties with good conversation and you'll find live entertainment i.e poetry readings, a band and or an up and coming singer/songwriter.
Its classy and comfortable...its the perfect place.
Hands down best cigar bar – Incredible cigars, classy ambience, fine selection of beer, and the cutest bartenders in Brooklyn... what more can you ask? But, seriously this is a cigar smoker's paradise.
A Special Spot – This is the sister lounge to the much-loved east village Velvet Cigars location. Larger and slightly more upscale than its precursor, this Velvet opened adjacent to Peter Luger's in spring of 2006, and is just what the area needed. A classy yet relaxed lounge, it is the perfect place to become a regular or just to visit after a date in one of the highly celebrated nearby restaurants. The smoking of cigars certainly is permitted, but thanks to the impressive ventillation system, the smoke is not oppressive; you can rest assured that non-smokers will be just as comfortable as those who do choose to enjoy a cigar. A lovely staff will assist in pairing one of the high quality cigars with a glass of wine, beer or port, and then it's up to you to relax and chat with your party or simply watch the game on the lounge's flat screen television. Regardless, you can be sure to love this truly unique and pleasurable spot!
A Rare Treat – Whether you're looking for a place to unwind at the end of a hectic work day, a place to catch up with friends, or a romantic way to end your date, Velvet is the way to go. Indulge yourself with all this lounge has to offer: great Dominican cigars, a unique beer selection, a more than adequate port list, a tasty wine selection, and of course a friendly and knowledgeable staff (that's also ever so easy on the eyes). Beautifully decorated and wonderfully serene, Velvet successfully recreates the atmosphere of the greatly missed old New York, and, really, who could ask for anything more?
A beacon of cigars and sophistication in South Williamsburg. – In Short
The sweet smell of cigar smoke lures patrons down a desolate industrial stretch and into a sophisticated change of scenery. Amid deep burgundy hues, exposed brick walls and dark wood cases, gentlemanly aficionados and novices alike burn down the lounge's own line of hand-rolled and aged cigars, which are prominently displayed around the bar. Between conversations from plush velvet sofas and barstools, clients can also quaff bottled beers, wines and vintage ports.
Great Cigar Lounge – More spacious than their East Village location so you get a different feel. (It's also right next to Peter Luger so you can always go to both places for dinner and post-dinner relaxation.) This is the place to go if you like cigars and want to sit back, unwind, and let time pass you by. Hours can go unnoticed here with the great valued and incredible tasting hand-rolled Dominican cigars, and maybe an espresso or a glass of vintage port to go with it. It isn't a bar, so don't expect an "anything goes" type of environment, but rather, expect a mellow and sophisticated environment that anyone can learn to love.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Velvet Cigar Lounge on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.