Brooklyn >Fitness > Equinox Fitness Clubs
50 Court St, Brooklyn, NY | Directions 1120140.692482 -73.991528
Neighborhoods: Brooklyn Heights
A nice gym, but beware of gimmicks and shortcomings – I've been a member of this gym since the summer of '07, and joined after trying many other NYC/Brooklyn gyms. At first I was thrilled, but as its membership has grown and I've spent more time there, shortcomings have become apparent.
1) By far the cleanest gym I've ever encountered. This is partly because it's so new, and partly because of the truly world class cleaning staff. I've seen personnel set down a vacuum to wipe a smudge of a piece of equipment halfway across the room. In this regard, the place is spectacular.
2) This is a friendly, classy neighborhood gym. You'll find little of the attitude common in lower Manhattan. The staff make a sincere effort to learn members' names.
1) As with any chain, beware of sales gimmicks. When I joined, I was told there were no other sales promos on the horizon. Barely three weeks later, the gym held an anniversary event, featuring a $1 initiation fee. I could have saved hundreds of dollars. People who had just joined were out of luck.
2) While large (by NYC standards), the gym lacks some equipment. This may or may not matter, depending on your fitness level and goals. There is only a single leg press, no glute machine, and no glute/hip machine. Removable pads for the bars are worn out, which seems not to matter to the staff and trainers, who focus primarily on clientelle at more novice fitness levels.
3) Like many NYC gyms, ventillation is problematic. I joined in July '07, after deciding that this gym had the best A/C of more than 12 others I'd tried. Now that the membership base has grown, it is vastly less consistent. At peak time on days with outdoor temps between 40-60, the A/C can fall behind and certain areas devolve into a smelly, 78+ degree sweat bath. The staff has made some effort to assist, but I have been sorely disappointed with the slow and inconsistent results. If you have a fast metabolism, are 200+ lbs, or prefer lifting heavy weights, be very cautious.
Great experience! – I have been going to the Equinox Spa for almost a year. Faina is the esthetician that I see there, she does amazing facials and great waxing!
I was impressed by her professionalism, knowledge of products and performance of treatments. After a very thorough and relaxing facial, my skin felt extremely soft. The waxing was quick and, practically, painless.
I highly recommend her!
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Equinox Fitness Clubs on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.