2240 N Scottsdale Rd Ste 8, Tempe, AZ | Directions 8528133.453948 -111.926643
Mon. - Sat. 11am - 9pm;Sun. CLOSED
Neighborhoods: New Papago Parkway, South Scottsdale
Green, Yes... Healthy, No – I was very excited to learn about a Vegan restaurant here in the Valley. I packed the family and we headed across town for a family night out at dinner. The excitement quickly diminished as we began eating our meals. First, the meals arrived very quickly, which indicated that they were nuked. Second, all the meals were very salty, and drenched in oil. I guess what we were expecting was healthy food... what we got was a vegan version of McDonalds. I would love to see this restaurant succeed, and I feel the only way they can will be to prepare their meals for a health conscious patron.
Disappointing – I've been Vegan for over 10 years. I've eaten in many restaurants, Vegan and otherwise.
Never before have I been so disgusted.
Giving Green the title of "Restaurant" is giving it too much class. IMO, "Diner" would even be a struggle.
1. Waited in line 20 minutes to place order.
2. No wait staff.
3. Bus your own table.
4. Wade through tables of dining patrons to place order. Good thing for them I wasn't in the mood to cough or sneeze.
5. Decor leaves much to be desired. Is this a "restaurant" or the remains of a flooded frat-house basement? Unable to find a chair that wasn't ripped in the seat. Not sitting on a stained yard sale couch on a splintery plywood riser.
6. Ordered food and noticed kitchen staff did not wear gloves. Talked on cordless phone while preparing food, then did not wash hands.
How clean is that phone? Past Health Inspections show hand washing is not a new problem here.
7. Place is DIRTY!
8. Appearance of food was disappointing. The Vegan pizza I make at home from scratch looks better. Why would I pay for a pita smeared with sauce, with 3 leathery, waxy slices of sweating cheese, when the Vegan cheese I use at home actually melts?
9. Buffalo Wings or Wads? Unidentifiable "wads" of fibrous matter. Sauce reeked of vinegar and nothing else.
10. Took 2 requests and got a huff in response when staff was asked to wipe the remnants of the last diner's meal off of our rocking table.
11. Cashier handled cash then prepared food without washing hands, Health Dept. busted them on this shortly after my visit.
After reading the RAVE reviews online, I was sorry I made the 84 minute drive to reach Green. I'm even more sorry I brought people with me. Now they have the connotation that being Vegan means this is acceptable for an eating establishment.
Green's website touts itself like it is comparable with "real" restaurants like say, Millennium. Not even close. Millennium makes Green look like a third world hot dog cart.
I stared at my baskets and plate of food for about 20 minutes while my guests ate. The A/C kicked on and fine particles of something rained down on our table. Mold? Dust? Skin flakes from everyone waiting to order? Who knows.
As for the flavors of the food, consistency, texture, etc., I don't know.
My food went untouched, into the trash.
No gloves, no handwashing, particles raining down.............
No thanks! I'm not eating here!
I can spend less and come away with more than a bottle of Pellegrino at home.
Green needs to clean up and focus on being a great restaurant that just happens to be Vegan, not be so caught up in being Vegan that the restaurant is what it is........a dump.
If you like your restaurants "crunchy", this is the place for you.
Great vegan epicurean delights! – First visited all-vegan Green early Sept. '06. Everything I've sampled so far were delightful. Friday, 9/27th, was the second time restaurant had "Tonight's special." (And menu items were very special indeed!) Green tea buckwheat soba noodles w/ pesto, artichoke hearts, and mustard aioli (sold out w/in 5 minutes of my ordering it). The next night, I went back to try the Vegan Fish 'n Chips w/ thyme fries (I've added this dish 2 my very short list of "fried foods 2 eat"--only realized next day that codfish WAS VEGAN!! Amazing!). The tsoynamis (vegan soy frozen dessert with mix-ins) are good, but too sweet for my taste... I prefer Whole Soy & Co. products and Turtle Mountain's Peanut butter 'Lil Buddies. Have yet to try their peanut butter bars and chocolate chip cookies.
If you're very hungry, I recommend you call in your order to shorten the waiting time... Do try the coconut curry w/ brown rice (with mock chicken), "steak" po'boy w/ tahini coleslaw (yummy even without the recommended vegan mozzarella), Greenza flatbread (add mushrooms and roasted eggplant!), Artichoke gratine, Green hummus (beware: it's very garlic-ky), 'n Jer[k] tofu salad (dressing is out-of-this-world).
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Green Restaurant on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.