Houston >Restaurants > Bedford Restarant by Robert Gadsby
1001 Studewood St, Houston, TX | Directions 7700829.789237 -95.388256
Lunch: Tues-Fri 11am-2:30pm
Dinner: Sun 5:30pm-10pm
Brunch: Sun 11am-2:30pm
Neighborhoods: Central, Greater Heights
Brilliant experience! – The Bedford is a modern, sophisticated restaurant with a great atmosphere and wonderful food. Wide selection of dishes are a treat for any discerning diner.
I had the tasting menu with four dishes and believe me it was delicious and filling.
However, I still had room for a mouthwatering dessert.
Do not miss this place.
Try Bedford ASAP! – We enjoyed a delicious lunch at Bedford on a recent Sunday. Everything we ordered was delicious - very pure and uncomplicated. We especially enjoyed the various flatbreads that we ordered to share as appetizers. The staff is friendly, outgoing and experienced. I was so impressed that I went home and signed up for their e-mail newsletter. I've noticed several wine dinners that looked very enticing - I will definitely keep my eye out for another wine dinner and return to Bedford soon.
Food was great but watch out for valets – My friends and I went to the Bedford for a celebratory dinner. Our reservations were for Sat night at 7:30. We were immediately seated and the owner greeted us as we walked to our table. Our waiter was very courteous, attentive and knowledgeable (ask for Chris). I ordered the 4-course meal with my choices being: 1. Seared Scallops, 2. Shrimp and Crab "soup", 3. Lamb Osso Buco and 4. Apple Strudel. My friends both ordered the Boneless Spare Ribs and they were divine! I definitely was experiencing dining envy albeit my lamb was quite good too. The Apple Strudel was a little weird for me as it was an Asian-inspired rendition. Imagine chopped apples, raisins and cinnamon in a crunchy eggroll. I only ate the ice cream and strudel center and left the eggroll exterior.
Now the one negative comment about the place is the valet service. We were listening to my friend's IPOD on the way to the restaurant. Once we arrived, we disconnected the IPOD, put it in her bag and stored the cord in a compartment within the car. After dinner, we tipped the valet, got in the car and were attempting to hook up the IPOD when we discovered the cord was missing. Before we questioned the valet, we searched the car to make sure it didn't somehow drop onto the floor. It was gone. My friend keeps her car very tidy so it would've been obvious if it was on the floor or anywhere else in the car. When we questioned the valets, they told us to call their manager. I know it was just a $15 cord but it's the principle of the matter! Anyway, it was such a rude ending to what was a spectacular evening.
Excellent Restaurant – We have been to Bedford several times, and each experience has been better and better! We didn't have reservations for the tasting table, but they allowed us to have the tasting menu anyways.
Everything was timed perfectly, as not to serve each course right on top of the other. The food was perfect! Everything from the mushroom risotto to the duck ravioli. And the chocolate, chocolate, chocolate for dessert was to die for! Imagine chocolate-stuffed beignets, chased down with cinnamon hot chocolate.
The staff was excellent. Everyone was very knowledgeable and courteous. Our waiter, Robert, did an excellent job presenting everything with a bit of flair.
This is hands-down one of the best restaurants on Houston, and with the competition so steep, that's quite an accomplishment. If you haven't been to Bedford, you're missing out.
Great experiences – WE have been to Bedford twice. One time we just sat in the bar for drinks. We loved the crowd, the drinks and the ambience. We came back another time for dinner. the food was out of this world. We plan on returning often.
Not quite a Gadsby jewel...yet – I am a huge fan of Chef Gadsby (Noe days) but Bedford did not live up to my expectations (yet). I am hopeful but will give the restaurant a few more months of growing pains before I return. For you fellow Foodies out there...don't stay away from this potential gem in Heights, just be cautious and patient and we may have another local hot spot to brag about...
A Real Gem in The Heights – I have now visited Bedford on several different occasions, and my feeling as I walk out the door is always the same - WOW! Whether I go to this restaurant with just my spouse and we sit at the bar or if I take clients/friends, everyone leaves with the 'wow' factor. For starters, the bar is absolutely beautiful with all the gems that are part of the bar and the background of the bar. The food is devine and offers many things that you do not always see at other dining establishments. One of my favorites is the Clay Bowl Soup for a starter - yummy seafood, and the Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate to end the night is a must for me now. I just received a thank you letter in the mail from clients I took to Bedford 2 weeks ago that said, "We cannot wait to come back to Houston and go to THE RESTAURANT. WOW - The food was fantastic and the Lemon Cello Martini was delightful." Thank you Bedford for creating such a great place for me to enjoy either with my spouse, close friends or important clients. You have only improved on every new visit!
Inventive Food that is Full in Flavor – I had never tried Noe or Soma, but now that I've tasted food by Robert Gadsby, I can see why they were all the rage. I love fresh ingredients and flavorful food that doesn't rely on salt or lard. His food has blown me away. Never tasted anything like it. I have become a fan of going for lunch or brunch, when the restaurant is less crowded. The space is great in the daylight and you can eat outside, too.
Waste of my money and time! – We spent about $250 for dinner for 3 people at Bedford recently and here are the highlights (or should I say “lowlights”):
1. Food: I specifically asked that the endive sauce be left off my dish of peppered tuna. Nevertheless, my tuna came with an enormous glop of bile-yellow endive sauce. My apple strudel was filled with raisins and chopped raw apples which hadn’t been cooked so the flavors did not hang together. It was awful and I left over half of it on my plate. The waiter never said a word when he cleared our plates.
2. Warm White Wine: Our bottle of Albarino white wine was served room temperature. Got sassy back talk from the waiter who condescendingly told us his “patrons” prefer it at that temp. That was incorrect as the Bedford sommelier helped us with the 2nd bottle and admitted the first bottle of wine hadn’t been stored right and that they don’t intend to serve guests warm white wine.
3. Sloppy Service: My Apple Strudel arrived but my dining companion’s Meyer Lemon Tart did not. Waited for 10 minutes even though the ginger chocolate ice cream on my strudel was melting. When we finally asked the waiter where the Meyer Lemon Tart was, he said "Oh yeah - I meant to tell the kitchen those should be served together." Earlier in the meal he was rude. When I asked a question about the specials, the waiter told me to wait until he was finished to ask a question. Lastly, we'd had our complimentary appetizers for only a couple of minutes and hadn’t touched themwhen the busboy tried to take them away
4. Décor: The decor was extremely bland and resembled something that would be in vogue at a Holiday Inn in a Midwestern town. The waiters wore untucked burgundy colored bowling shirts that revealed their scraggly chest hair.
5. No Bread- No bread (free or available for purchase) was offered with the meal.
6. Annoying Valet Parkers – Commandeered all the parking spaces near the restaurant with their orange cones.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Bedford Restarant by Robert Gadsby on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.