2801 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis, MN | Directions 5540844.951643 -93.277521
Neighborhoods: Powderhorn, Whittier
My favorite restaurant – I love this place. The food is delicious. Many vegetarian options are available. I have always found the service to be great too.
Worst meal I ever had – Went to Java to get Gyros, which is something they should know how to make. The meat was dry and overly spiced. The dressing was like a heavey Caesar, not at all what I'd expect. Spent an entire day trying to get the awful taste out of my mouth. Service was mediocre at best. WILL NEVER EVER GO BACK.
Excellent Middle Eastern food – Java has been a constant in S. Mpls for over 30 years. It has consistently provided well-prepared traditional dishes at vey affordable prices. The Shawirma (Gyros)sandwich is absolutely the best I have had anywhere. They make their own shawirma using fresh meats instead of buying the frozen stuff from the usual wholesalers like evey other place. The Falafel and lamb dishes are also excellent. Long live the Java Restaurant!
Best darn Middle Eastern food ever! – I've been going to Java for many years and have ALWAYS been satisfied w/both the food and the service. Even the ambiance of the place represents true authenticity with it's hieroglyphics and belly dancing stage. I've even come to find that it was the first Middle Eastern restaurant in Minnesota and are still around even after 35 years. The prices are cheap and the portions are large. I recommend this place to everyone and especially those who have never tried Middle Eastern food. You'll be glad you did.
You can't beat it. – My parents have been going to Java for nearly 30 years, so by default I've been going there since I was born. There's NOTHING I don't like about Java.
* It's a small, family-owned business, so I enjoy patronizing them much more so than some huge corporate chain that doesn't need my money. They've been around for a long time, so you KNOW they're doing something (a whole lot of something) right.
* The food is to die for. I'll drive an hour out of my way to get that hummus, tabouli, baklava (eat it there...they serve it warm), and warm rania. If you eat meat, the shawirma and kafka are amaaaaaazing. If not, hummus, tabouli, spinach pie and baklava are nirvana-inducing.
* The portions are very generous...I always leave with leftovers and a full stomach.
* The prices are SO reasonable.
* Even the [tacky], hasn't-been-remodeled-since-the-70s decor is endearing. It gives Java character and history.
* Some nights, they have belly dancing :)
Go. Right now.
Delicious Food For Vegetarians and Meat Eaters – I love the Java Restaurant. The food is delicious, and there is lots of variety for both vegetarians and meat eaters. The prices are very reasonable too. Some nights they have entertainment.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Java Restaurant on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.