Brooklyn >Cellular Phone Companies > Metropolitan Wireless
481 5th Ave, Brooklyn, NY | Directions 1121540.667708 -73.987371
Neighborhoods: Park Slope
BEWARE OF FRAUD! – A few days ago, my parents purchased two phones and a family service plan at this Metro PCS authorized dealer. They were blatantly cheated by the store employees. Please read the details below to protect yourself against similar fraud. I believe they were targeted because English is their second language and suspect they are not the only victims.
- The credit card was charged $100 more than the itemized receipt indicated (the receipt added up to $440 and they were charged a total of $560). A store manager refused to explain the charge or provide a written record of it.
- The itemized receipt was incomplete and did not include tax information (which does not account for the unexplained $100 charge)
- My parents were charged for an extra accessory package ($40) which they did not request and were not explained. They did not receive the actual package (headphones and a case). Because the hand-written itemized receipt did not clearly indicate this item, they were not aware of the purchase. I discovered the charge during our later investigation. A store manager refused to address the issue.
- A deposit of $40 was charged and not returned or counted towards the final purchase. We later discovered that deposits are NOT a common Metro PCS dealer practice.
- My parents purchased a $29 phone warranty which comes for free with this Metro PCS phone model (a fact confirmed by the Metro PCS costumer service).
- The return policy was not explained upon purchase. Because the policy is rather intricate (the phones must be returned within 7 days with less than one hour of use time) one of the phones is no longer refundable.
- The procedure for a $50 rebate was not explained and the necessary paperwork not given at the time of purchase. The sales person said that the rebate will automatically arrive in the mail when in fact it is the buyer's responsibility to file paperwork. Without proactive research on their part, my parents would've missed out on the rebate.
- This is not directly related to the purchase but is a suspicious activity that should be noted: The sales person prompted my mother to create a new email account on her new smartphone which the salesperson herself picked a password for. This individual proceeded to make two copies of the account information, meaning to keep one of the copies. While we don't know the intentions of this sales person, I am greatly alarmed by this behavior.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Metropolitan Wireless on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.