735 Clay St, San Francisco, CA | Directions 9410837.794331 -122.405457
Everyday 10am-6pm. Closed on Wednesdays.
Neighborhoods: Northeast, Chinatown
VERY AFFORDABLE WEDDING DRESSES! – PROS:
1. Dragon Seed is quite possibly the most affordable store for wedding gowns in San Francisco. And they have a good selection too.
2. Alterations are included with price of dresses!
3. Conveniently located.
4. Some veils are free for rent with purchase of dress.
5. Henriette and the other sales ladies are very nice.
6. There always seems to be a sale on the wedding gowns. It's never the price on the tag.
7. They also have a beautiful selection of ball gowns and Chinese dresses (cheongsams I think?) I won't be getting those but based on the reviews here, it seems that they are overpriced
1. Thomas, Henriette's husband, is a very loud and aggressive salesman.
2. My sister gave them a bridal dress to be altered a month ago. Since it wasn't from their store, they charge $100 for alterations, which isn't bad compared to other places in SF. They told her it would be ready the first week of July. But when she went to pick it up, they told her they forgot to give it to the seamstress and that it won't be ready until the end of July. This is the main reason I knocked off a star because that is a big deal. If the wedding was any sooner, it would have been a major problem.
3. I'm not big at all but I'm really curvy. They only have bras for A or B cup sizes because most of their clients are Asian.
4. Wedding shoes are expensive and they do not have a big selection of shoes in the store. They would have to order them.
5. The dressing rooms are very small.
6. Some of the dresses and wedding gowns especially are very old fashioned and dated.
All in all I probably would give it 3.8 stars for wedding dresses only. I'm not buying any other type of dress so I can't base my review on that. It may go up or down half a star after I see how my dress looks and feels after the alterations are done by the end of the month. I know some people complained about the way the salespeople pressure you here. It doesn't really bother me that much because I'm used to Chinatown I guess. I grew up with it. It's just how their selling style is. I'm sure they have good intentions. They have been in business for a long time. The ladies are actually nice and soft spoken. I know most of the clients are Asian so I was surprised that they said they can alter my dress to be bigger in the bust and hips area. My dress was originally priced at $480. The sale was 30% off so it was $336 plus tax. The total was $364, including alterations and I can rent a veil for free a couple days before the wedding. You really can't beat that. I just have to wait and see how my dress will look and fit when it's ready. This is my "preliminary" review.
If you are doing a Chinese Wedding.......... – My sister got her cheong sam made here and rented her outfit for the tea ceremony here and had no problem. When it was my turn to get married I came here hoping to do the same.
But in the end all I did was rent the tea ceremony outfit here. I got my cheong sam made somewhere else. Why? While the price on the tea ceremony outfit was super reasonable ($120).......I didn't feel comfortable with them making my cheong sam. A. They didn't have any fabric that screamed out to me that I loved B. the guy talking to me who I think is the owner, wasn't convincing that it would be flattering to my figure and seemed unwilling to modernize the dress the way I wanted C. The pictures they had in their books were super old and dated and made me feel like they weren't on top of the trends.
So hence I didn't plan on getting a cheong sam at all but by chance we found another place that made custom ones beautifully.
This place is okay for renting tea ceremony outfits and probably okay for making a cheong sam if you are of typical Asian build, and super thin and skinny. I needed someone who could work with me to customize something flattering for me.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Dragon Seed Bridal & Photo on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.