1060 Geary St, San Francisco, CA | Directions 9410937.785737 -122.421359
Neighborhoods: Civic Center, Northeast
Divey, Arty, Cool – Former Tunnel Top bartenders took over Korean "service parlor" KoKo about two years ago and revamped every interior surface to create a retro Asia-meets-German brauhaus that preserves some of its original funk -- in a good way. Visually provocative films like The Maltese Falcon and The Passion of Christ project on the wall -- a fitting, moody backdrop for the Smoke Weed, my favorite mezcal cockail, or the Tecate and shot of Ranchero tequila special they offer from time to time. Koko uses above-average well spirits in the cocktails. So you'll get Gordon's in your Aviation and it will only cost $7, shaken by old-school bartenders who get that you want a decent cocktail in a dirty chic atmosphere.
A thirst parlor since the 1940s, the space now known as Koko Cocktails is attracting new crowds to a favorite pastime. – Yeah, it's dark, and yes, it smells a bit like a sauna, but Koko Cocktails isn't your average Tendernob dive bar. For starters, the veteran bartenders (all with ten-plus years of experience slinging booze in the city) have fashioned an upscale cocktail list that employs local distillers, as well as a small list of draft beers from nearby brewers. All juices are freshly squeezed and the joint composts more than it throws out -- Koko might as well be Cantina's cool little hipster brother. And if that's not enough, the bar hosts a DJ every night of the week, whether it's Black Gold Mondays (soul and funk) or ska and rocksteady every first and third Saturday, the top-notch spin junkies bring the locals through in droves.
Awesome happy hour – Kick back friendly place. Good music and tasty drinks. Knowledgeable bartenders. I love the vibe.
Note: this bar recently re-opened on 1/21/08 under new ownership.
Why is this bar the best place for a drink in the city?
1) Knowledgeable, friendly, attentive, excellent bartenders
2) No television to stare at mindlessly, only a well appointed, beautifully lit, 70's minimal style bar-so you'll either have to stare at the glowing chartreuse bottles, or actually have a conversation with someone.
3) Plenty of room, big long bar, ton's of tables.
4) It's right on the 38 bus line.
5) Don't let the exterior fool you, it's ultra cool inside.
6) Great selection of liquor, local when possible.
7) No pretentious speak-easy, fancy-pants, apple martini type b.s., just real drinks served by real people at prices an average joe can afford.
Drink here and be happy.
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!
Do you have a review of Koko Cocktails on your blog? If you include the Citysearch image link (shown below) in your post, we'll automatically link to your review from the business profile page. Here's how our Linkback system works:
The Linkback system is free and automatic. It's really that easy.
To link to our business profile page, copy the html below to your web page.